Sunday, December 11, 2011

Church: A New Personality Won't Save You

I spoke to two dear, wise friends about my fears for the church.  I also shared with them my obsession that the church is not in need of the right person in each pastoral role, but rather that the church is in need of a new structure.

I feel strongly that we need to look to centralizing our pastor care, keeping our elders as a system of checks and balances, but leaving management, training, and deployment to those who are trained to do so.

Both friends I spoke to have been in ministry for years.  They like the idea and felt there was something to it.  Both even used the word "gem" which I liked very much (I am a big fan of all things shiny...).  However, after the dust settled, there was a resounding silence because neither thought our churches could or would give up control.  Who after all would be the first guinea pig?

I am praying for our churches.  I am talking to friends about our churches.  The bad news is that we all feel hopeless about this issue.  The good news is that we don't need to.  God cares about this even more.

So I am looking forward to seeing what God will do with this baby...


No comments:

Post a Comment