Saturday, April 21, 2012

Other Discovered Treasures: Catholics Reaching the World with Technology

Well, I promised that I would share some of the treasures that I have discovered in the Catholic Church.  By treasures I mean anything really - but in this instance - I mean resources for the seeker, lapsed believer, Protestant believer, etc,..

My list is growing day by day, but let me just start with a personal favorite, and it's a bit nerdy, but feeds something in me and my family every single day:  Daily Bible readings from the Catholic Church.  From the home page, you click on "bible," then "today's readings," then there are two great ways to enjoy this site.  First, read the readings.  They aren't long, they are the same for everyone the whole world over (back to what I love about the Catholic church...) and they are always encouraging.  Second, click on "Daily Reflections - video," on the right hand side of the page.

When you click on this lovely little tab, up pops your personal priest with the daily mini-homily.  I have yet to see one that is longer than 3 minutes.  Most of them are about 2 minutes and 20 seconds.  That's it!  Encouragement in a nutshell.

Now, I use this as a mother.  My husband and I have tried for years to read scripture with our children and while we have had some success, it is always a bit of a battle.  The video component here, as nerdy as it is (and it is nerdy...) really draws my boys' attention.  Quite honestly, these little clips have been refreshing and lovely.  It changes the mood in our home and has made a difference in our relationships - particularly between our boys.  If that isn't a modern day miracle, I don't know what is.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment